Health and safety training

Armed Forces

ELCAS – Enhanced Learning Credits

Are you eligible?

Southwest Health and Safety are delighted to support our Armed Forces in providing courses that are approved for use with  ELCAS funding.  We currently conduct our NEBOSH courses in Amesbury, Wiltshire.
The ELC scheme is designed for members of the Armed Forces and provides financial support for Level 3 or higher level training courses. Southwest Health and Safety are an ELCAS Approved Training Provider and therefore we are delighted to be able to support individuals looking to access financial support under the ELC scheme.
ELC Training
Southwest offer a selection of competitive packages enabling service leavers to combine NEBOSH Certificate level qualifications into one ELC claim, thereby making the most out of your available resettlement entitlement.

Package deals

Classroom based course packages

All our classroom course prices include VAT, Workbook, Exam costs and refreshments

   One Course cost – £1100 (ELC Claim £880 + £220 -20% Personal contribution)  – Total cost = £1100

(Example course: NEBOSH National General Certificate

   Two Course cost – £2160  (ELC Claim £1728 + £432 – 20% Personal contribution) –  Total cost = £2160

(Example courses: NEBOSH National General Certificate plus NEBOSH Fire Certificate or Construction Certificate)

   Three Course cost – £2400 (ELC Claim £1920 + £480 – 20% Personal contribution) Total cost = £2400)

(Example courses: NEBOSH National General Certificate, Fire Certificate and Construction Certificate)

   Four Course – £2800 (ELC Claim £2240 + £560 – 20% Personal contribution)  Total cost £2800

(Example courses: NEBOSH National General Certificate, Fire Certificate, Environment Certificate and Construction Certificate)


Online course packages

All our online course prices include VAT, Workbook, Exam costs and access to our extensive online learning platform.

   One Course cost – £595 (ELC Cliam £476 + £119 – 20% Personal contribution)  Total cost = £595

(Example course: NEBOSH National General Certificate)

   Two Course cost £1200 – (ELC Claim £960 + £240 – 20% Personal contribution) Total cost = £1200

(Example courses: NEBOSH National General Certificate plus NEBOSH Fire Certificate or Construction Certificate)

   Three Course cost £1785 – (ELC Claim £1428+ £357 – 20% Personal contribution) Total cost = £1785

(Example courses: NEBOSH National General Certificate, Fire Certificate and Construction Certificate)

For more information on specific NEBOSH certificate courses that we offer, please click on the links below:

ELCAS Claim process

If you would like to book any course(s) using ELC funding, please follow the steps below:


Register your interest with us either by calling 01980 676859 or via email – info@southwesthealthandandsafety.com

  • Complete the ELC claim paperwork

  • If using ELC funding you will receive a Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) which must be sent to us for confirmation of funding approval.

  • Once the CAN is received we will send you booking forms for the courses you have chosen.

  • For each course, joining instructions and directions to the venue, will be sent to you before the course begins.

  • We will send an invoice to you for your learner contribution.

Upcoming course dates;


NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety – (11 days)

16 – 30 September 19

28 October – 11 November 19

13 – 27 January 20

24 February – 09 March 20

23 March – 06 April 20

NEBOSH National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management (5-days) 

14 – 18 October 19

10 – 14 February 20

NEBOSH National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety (9-days)

 01 – 11 October 19

25 November – 05 December 19

28 January – 07 February 20

NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management (5-days)

09 – 13 December

20 –  24 April 2020

30 Nov –  4 Dec 2020

What I am entitled to?

If you are a serving member or a veteran of the Armed Forces, dependent on your length of service you can:

Make a claim of up to £1000 (Lower Tier) or £2000 (Higher Tier – 8 years’ service)
Claim up to 3 times provided they are in separate financial years
You can also claim for multiple courses, provided they are like for like and with the same provider


You must provide an individual contribution of  20% of the course fees (ELCs will cover the remaining 80% of the total cost)


What other funding is available

Funding combinations during resettlement.

IRTC may be used together with ELC or SLC, but all three cannot be amalgamated. ELC and SLC are designed to fund different learning purposes and cannot be used together. For example, SLC may not be used to fund an exam for a course of study that has been supported by ELC. The MoD monitors providers closely to ensure that costs remain competitive and are not inflated to obtain the maximum funding available.

When using IRTC with ELC or SLC during resettlement, the individual may use the IRTC element to pay for, in part or in full, the 20% minimum personal contribution. This exception will be permitted only under these specific circumstances; otherwise the rules for each scheme remain unchanged. The MoD decided that funding should be optimised to enable Service leavers to undertake valid resettlement activities to help them secure employment. Some element of personal contribution will usually continue, especially for more expensive, higher-level qualifications where the 20% minimum will more than likely be exceeded.

Follow this link for more information on the different types of funding available for use when in resettlement  – https://www.questonline.co.uk/funding/article/using-learning-credits-with-individual-resettlement-training-costs

What do I do next?

Use your ELC funding to succeed with NEBOSH qualifications

Speak to the team at Southwest Health and Safety Ltd , who can help you decide which course and learning method is best for you, by calling 01980 676859 

Complete an ELC claim form on the ELCAS website at least 25 days before the course begins.
When this form is approved, you will receive a Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) from ELCAS which you must send to your Southwest course advisor as soon as possible.
Complete the Southwest booking form for the NEBOSH course(s) you have received ELC funding for.


More information and must read information can be found on the ELCAS website 


ELCAS - Frequently asked Questions


Q. I have had a break in service and am registered with ELCAS. Which form do I need to complete?


A. You are required to complete the Interrupted Service Supplementary Form, this can be found in the downloads section of the website.  You are required to enter all periods of eligible service and then this form must be signed by your Educational Officer if serving or your Single Service Representative if you are no longer in service.


Q. Who signs my Enhanced Learning Credits claim form when I have left the Services?


A. As a service leaver part five of your claim form must be completed by the Single Service Representative, you can find their contact details and address on theService Leaver-Claiming ELC page of the website.


Q. How do I know which tier I am eligible to claim?


A. For the lower tier of funding you are required to have completed a minimum of four years eligible service prior to 1st April 2017 or not less than six years eligible service if you enlisted on or after the 1st April 2013. Therefore you were required to still be serving as of 01/04/2004 to claim at this tier. For higher tier claims you are required to complete a minimum of eight years eligible service.


Q. What is the lower or higher tier?


A. On the lower tier of funding you are entitled to claim 80% of the cost of a Level three or above course up to the maximum of £1000.00. For the higher tier this is up to £2000.00 per ELC claim. 


Q. How many claims in total can I make?


A. You are entitled to make a maximum of three ELC claims in total, but only one ELC claim per financial year.


Q. When does the financial year run from?


A. The financial year runs from 1 April – 31 March, with regards to claiming it depends on your course start date with regards to which year of funding your claim comes out of. E.g. If the course start date was 31/03/2009 this claim would come out of financial year 08/09 which means after 01/04/2009 you would be able to claim again for a course starting in financial year 09/10.


Q. I have been unable to proceed with my course. How do I cancel my claim?


A. You must refer to your Education Officer to explain the reasons for withdrawal and check with ELCAS whether MOD have made a payment to the provider. If the MOD have not yet paid any money to the provider you can apply to cancel the claim. You must first obtain written confirmation from the provider that they do not intend to invoice for the amount due from the MOD. Please click here to obtain the cancellation form which should be completed and sent to your education officer for approval. If the provider has already submitted an invoice to the MOD you can apply for reinstatement. Please click here to obtain the reinstatement form which should be completed and sent to your education officer. The MOD will consider fully your reasons for withdrawal before deciding whether to reinstate your claim.


Q. How can I find out if my course is Level three or above?


A. You can check with the provider who should be able to advise you and provide proof of the Level of the course.


Q. Can I claim for a course which I have already paid for?


A. No, under the scheme rules retrospective claims are not permitted.


Q. I’ve left the services by when must I submit my final claim?


A. Your final claim must be submitted before the 10th anniversary of your last day of service if you left before 1st April 2011. If you left betwen 1st April 2011 and 31st March 2016 (both dates inclusive), they will expire on 31st March 2021.  If you left as of 1st April 2016 or later, they expire on the 5th anniversary of your last day of service.  The course MUST start before this date.  


Q. I have received a Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) but my course details have changed. How do I get a new CAN.


A. You should check the section ‘Amending/Cancelling/Reinstating’ a claim. If your claim can be amended you must refer to your MOD authorising party ie. Education Officer if you are still in service or Single Service Representative if you are a Service Leaver.


Q. How do I find a learning provider?


A. You can check the list of providers by clicking on ‘Searching for a Learning Provider’ on the Serving Personnel or Service Leaver pages of the website.


Q. The learning provider I want to use isn’t registered. Can I still put in a claim?  


A. Under the rules of the ELC scheme you may only use a provider who have been approved by the MOD and appear on the approved provider list. In the first instance you should check the list carefully using the search options available. If you are unable to find a suitable provider on the current list you may ask a new provider to apply however they must follow the full application process and must meet all of the ELC scheme criteria in order to gain approval. You should note that the application process can take up to four months and you would not be able to submit a claim until the provider has gained a positive decision from the MOD.