Standard Learning Credits
The Standard Learning Credits (SLC) Scheme provides financial support throughout your career to enhance your educational and vocational achievements in service.
Service personnel may make SLC claims each financial year for 80% of any course fees; up to a maximum of £175 per year for approved vocational and academic courses. This is a “use it or lose it” allowance, as the funding does not roll-over into the next financial year.
To find out more, please scroll down the page;
What is the SLC Application process?
Prior to onto the course you need to complete the following;
→ Complete MOD Form 1950 – download the form here
→ Get Line manager’s approval on the form
→ Submit to your local Education Centre for further approval
→ Once approved individuals can commit to the course.
To qualify for SLC funding, the course of study must lead to a nationally recognised qualification, have substantial developmental value and directly benefit the Service, unless the activity is being undertaken as preparation for resettlement.
How to claim once you have completed your course;
On completion of the course
→ Submit Receipt of Payment
→ Submit Proof of successful completion to your Unit education centre (RN & RAF need to complete and submit refund forms) – Southwest Health and Safety will provide this on completion of the course
- The scheme does not permit retrospective payments from previous financial years, except in exceptional operational or compassionate circumstances. SLC monies are paid to claimants upon completion of learning.
- Service person is required to provide proof of payment (receipt or bank statement but not invoice) + proof of completion or attendance along with the relevant refund forms provided for RN and RAF.
- Where SLC Course are due to be completed after March Payroll and before the end of the Financial year (31 March) respective SLC claims would normally be processed on 01 Apr and will be applied to the next FYs entitlement.
- The Service person wishing to claim SLC against their current FY SLC entitlement must gain confirmation, in writing from the appropriate learning provider by the end of Feb, that they have satisfactorily attending the course and will complete it prior to 31 March.
- The SP may then submit their SLC claim, in advance of the March Payroll, to their local Education Centre for processing within the current FY.
Southwest Health and Safety Training are proud to support members of the Armed Forces in developing their professional development and resettlement training
Here at Southwest our passion is Health and Safety and helping members of the Armed forces community, with key members of our team are ex-military or connected to the the forces community, so they understand the transition from the forces to civvy street. Whether you are currently in the Armed Forces and are planning your future civilian career or you have already served and are looking for qualifications to start a new career – We can offer a variety of approved health and safety training courses for military personnel can use their SLC’s on.
What courses can I use Standard Learning Credits on?
Some of our most popular courses that you can use with your SLC’s?
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Supervising Mental Health in the Workplace
- First Aid at Work
We have many many more training courses that you can use your Standard Learning Credits towards – if you need anymore information, please contact us here
Can I use my SLC with other MOD funding?
One drawback to the SLC is that it cannot be used in conjunction with the ELC.
In essence you can use the funding in the following combinations:
- IRTC + ELC = Yes
- IRTC + SLC = Yes
- IRTC + SLC + ELC = No
Please contact us if you need anymore information
Our mission is to keep you and your business safe by improving your health and safety knowledge through training.CONTACT US