Armed Forces: What you need to know about Standard Learning Credits
What are Standard Learning Credits?
The Standard Learning Credits Scheme was created by the Ministry of Defence to help Armed Forces individuals enhance their educational and vocational achievements in service.
How can they help you?
The SLC scheme gives you an opportunity to learn new things through courses on a small scale whether you want to learn personal training, teaching, health and safety or admin.
The SLC scheme allows you to get free money to use on these courses and expand your knowledge in an area of interest, as long as the course leads to a nationally recognised qualification, and directly benefits the military service. It must also have considerable value towards your professional and personal development, unless the course is being undertaken as preparation for resettlement.
What do you get?
You get 80% off your courses paid for up to £175 per year. The money cannot be carried over from one year to another (1st April – 31st March). It is a ‘use it or lose it’ style of funding. You have to pay the remainder of the 20% of the course you enrol on.
Who can apply?
Anyone who is currently in service in the Armed Forces. It is available from the first year you join.
Are there any conditions?
SLC cannot be used in conjunction with the ELC on the same course.
What courses of Southwests are eligible for SLC?
All our IOSH, CITB, Mental Health and First Aid courses are covered by SLC including:
- IOSH Managing Safely classroom
- IOSH SHE for Construction Managers classroom
- IOSH Working Safely classroom
- CITB SMSTS classroom
- CITB SMSTS Refresher classroom
- CITB SSSTS classroom
- CITB SSSTS Refresher classroom
- CITB SEATS classroom
- CITB Health and Safety Awareness classroom
- CITB Temporary Works Supervisor classroom
- CITB Temporary Works Coordinator classroom
- Level 3 Award in Understanding Mental Health in the Workplace classroom
- Level 2 Introduction to First Aid for Mental Health classroom
- Level 1 Introduction to Mental Health and Wellbeing classroom
- First Aid at Work classroom
- Emergency First Aid at Work classroom
- Level 3 Paediatric First Aid classroom
- Emergency Paediatric First Aid Training classroom
- IOSH Managing Safely Online
- Level 3 Education and Training Online
How does the SLC scheme work?
To enrol onto a course, you need to undertake the following process:
- Download and complete the MOD Form 1950
- Get your line manager’s approval on the form
- Submit the form to your local education centre for further approval
- Once approved, individuals can commit to the course.
How to claim once you have completed your course
On completion of the course:
- Submit your Receipt of Payment
- Submit Proof of successful completion to your unit education centre (RN & RAF need to complete and submit refund forms) – Southwest Health and Safety will provide this on completion of the course.
Why choose Southwest?
- We have above national average pass rates on all our courses
- We are value for money – high quality training and competitively priced
- We offer payment plans so you can pay your 20% left in instalments
Only a few of our testimonials:
“Just completed IOSH Managing Safety Course with Andy. A well delivered course which was delivered in a constructive way allowing myself to gain a good understanding of the course material. Will definitely look at booking any future courses in health and safety through them.” – Tommy Allat
“Brilliant course! 5 stars! From the minute we arrived Andrew couldn’t have done more to accommodate us. The course was totally run around our needs, from learning styles and technics to general admin (if someone had an appointment or needed to go you could!).
I couldn’t rate the service I received highly enough. This is my first course of three and I can wait to come back!” – Richard Denton
“Mental Health in the workplace – Course provided is very informative and a big eye opener. It definitely provides skills to take back to the workplace and also to personal lives and has changed the way I think of Mental health. Would highly recommend.” – Kyle James Sinclair
“I completed the IOSH Managing Safely course whilst in lockdown through their online course. it was relatively straightforward to do and a lot of helpful tips and learning points; this really helped me to make relevant notes to revise from when I went to take the final test. They also have a great support line and are quick to reply if you have any queries.” – Adam Little
For more information on SLC, see our Standard Learning Credits page.
To view our classroom courses, see our classroom course page.
To view our online courses, see our online course page.
If you have any questions, feel free to call us on +44 (0)1264 874466.